Friday, September 2, 2011

The First Year Experience: Move in.

Today is the day. Moving away from loves park and headed for whitewater. Mother and I started the day off nice and early shopping for my last minute supplies. I got to say a few important goodbyes and then it was time to load the car... or should i say cars. :) My cougar was full, and so was the back of the suburban. We picked up Ms. Devin Jolene. and then my Mom, Dad, Devin, and I headed for the small city! When we arrived i went to get my room key while the others unloaded. Dad had a hobbley leg. so he waited while the rest of us carried aaaalllllll of my stuff to the 4th floor of the residence hall. that first trip seemed long but I'm already getting used to it. We then unpacked and set everything up. I met my roommate Jessie. She is very nice, often quiet, but I am sure that will change soon. And probably my favorite thing about her... she is short like me. :D Once i was settled and goodbyes were made I ventured off to change my major with Ben. I am now a secondary education major. degree in Math with a minor in Theatre. :) Sounds fun to me! Once that was settled it was off to get books! Whitewater has a wonderful textbook rental system. it was wonderfully organized and only 74 dollars for any and all books i needed and it was included in tuition! :) I found all of my books rather quickly except my Math book... they had about 3 aisles full of math books. and i need to find the one for my class. 152. I knew I needed a book for that class. I just could not find it anywhere! up and down the rows i went. searching and staring and it was nowhere to be found... after about 10 minutes of standing in the middle of the aisle. i found it. about 4 feet above my eye level. HAHA! if only i had a taller person with me... they could have helped me spot it faster. but either way. I got my books. and probably my favorite part about getting books... i got to pick which book i wanted! I didn't get stuck with yucky nasty books! I dug through the piles and got the clean, new, nice looking books with no bent covers or yucky corners. it was awesome.
Later that night we had a floor meeting for everyone on my floor. We met both of our RAs and then got a chance to mingle with other people on our floor. Everyone is a freshman like me. There are 72 on the floor. CRAZY! Jessie and I met the people across the hall from us and their neighbors. Jessie, Elisa, myself, and one other girl I can't remember her name... but the four of us went walking around campus. Looked around and that was fun. I then met up with ben for dinner at Drumlin Hall. My first meal on campus. Pizza, a bread stick, lemonade, and jello. :) it was delicious! After that Ben and I went to a hypnotist show. It was absolutely hilarious! Great way to end Day 1 at UWW!

~stephanie joy.

No comments: